Getting a job in Nigeria is now about tapping your network for opportunities and finding a way to get an introduction to someone with hiring influence for that dream job. And in fact, LinkedIn knows a ton about each of its members, and makes it easy for any user to access that information.
LinkedIn has the potential to help you access professional network for contacts and relevant information. This moves you to the front of the queue and gets you a higher chance of a job interview.
The key to using LinkedIn for an effective Job Search include the following:
1. Complete your profile by adding the relevant sections like experience, education, skills and associations etc. The better your profile representation, the better LinkedIn’s job recommendations work for you. Look under the Jobs tabs for additional goodies.
2. Build a qualitative network of people you would like to be connected to professionally instead of everyone who invited you. Tapping into your network is one of LinkedIn’s strongest features.
3. Join relevant professional groups. LinkedIn groups are full of Job Postings relevant to particular groups.
4. Consider signing up for LinkedIn’s Job Seeker package which opens up additional channels for seekers to connect to Hiring managers and recruiters. Might be something worthwhile to consider.
5. Get a few recommendations from past or present coworkers. Recommendations are talent endorsements for hiring managers. Sometimes they work wonders.
Now, here’s an infographic to make your LinkedIn Job Search even more effective.
Good luck with your job search!