Okezie Ikpeazu, Abia state governor, has secured a $1.5bn deal for the establishment of a shoe industry in Aba from Huajian Shoe Industry in Dongguan, Guangzhou, China.
Ikpeazu secured the deal at a meeting with Zhang Huarong, group chairman of the Huajian Group in the course of his official visit to China for the 1st Nigeria-China Governors Investment Forum.
And the scoop on this mouth-watering project are that:
1. The Abia-Huajian Shoe Industrial City would have the capacity to produce 5,000 shoes per day and employ about 10,000 people directly and indirectly.
2. Abia state government will provide the land and other investment incentives for the project while the Huajian group will fund the entire project.
3. The Huajian Group was already employing 6,000 staff and is currently developing a 250 Acre Industrial City in Ethiopia and expressed their eagerness to come to Nigeria.
4. The Huajian Group currently employs about 20,000 staff in China and operates a 10,000 shoes per day factory in Dongguan valued at $2bn.
5. The group chairman of the Huajian Group will be in Abia before the end of April 2017 for further discussion on the project.