The federal government says the first phase of Ajaokuta steel company will provide 500,000 upstream and downstream employment when it becomes operational.
Isah Onobere, the sole administrator of the company, made this known, saying:
- The first phase of the plant would provide direct employment for 10,000 technical staff when inaugurated.
- The first phase is envisaged to produce 1.3 million tonnes of liquid steel per annum.
- It would cost $400 million to complete Ajaokuta steel, and it had so far, reached 98 per cent completion.
- $2 billion is needed for infrastructure rehabilitation and operational cost.
- Government has begun to commit resources toward the maintenance and preservation of the equipment and facilities of the plant.
- The government is considering the report on various options on the way forward for the completion of the project. The options include outright sales, concessions and joint venture of Ajaokuta steel.
Ajaokuta steel company is Nigeria’s leading steel company and intended to be the leading supplier of quality steel products in all the major economic sectors, including construction, packaging, wire drawing and nail making industry among others.
Did you find this article informative? Kindly like, comment and share!