The President, African Development Bank (AfDB), Mr Akinwumi Adesina, says Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, will become the largest exporter of rice in the world by 2021.
In case you didn’t know:
1. Dangote initially planned a 300 million-dollar investment in production and processing of rice in Nigeria but later changed it to one billion dollars three months after.
2. He would probably be the single largest producer of rice in the world, in about four years.
3. Alhaji Aliko Dangote, Chairman, Dangote Ltd ventured into rice cultivation because of government’s interest to revive agriculture as the mainstay of the economy and reduce importation of food that could be produced locally.
4. In the next three years, Dangote would produce one million tonnes of quality rice, make it available and affordable to the people.
5. Dangote believes that with 150, 000 hectares, Nigeria will not have anything to do with importation of rice.
6. The Dangote Rice Outgrowers Scheme is committed to creating employment, increasing incomes of smallholders farmers and ensuring food security in the country.
7. The scheme would provide high quality seeds, fertilizers, agro-chemicals and technical assistance on best agricultural practice to farmers.
8. This scheme will help to diversify the economy, alleviate poverty and reduce the nation’s import bill.
9. The pilot phase of the Dangote Outgrowers Scheme launched in Sokoto State would create jobs for 16,000 rice farmers in the state.