The Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry Mines and Agriculture has provided some hints on to how to effectively grow the agricultural sector.
The National President of the association, Chief Alaba Lawson, gave the hints during her review of the state of the economy.
According to her,
- Government needs to invest in machinery, improved seedlings and agro services as a way of boosting the sector. She noted that the heavy reliance on crude oil as foreign exchange earner in total neglect of agriculture had put Nigeria in its present condition.
- It’s time for the government to walk the talk and put structures in place towards effective implementation of all the policies towards the diversification of the economy.
- Mechanised farming is a global language and Nigeria has to embrace it to stay in tune with trends in global agriculture.
- Early passage of budget is of high importance. She noted that any budget passed when the year had gone far would not allow business owners to plan. Government needs to pass the budget at the right time so that everybody knows the direction of the market and what purchases to make.
- They must equally ensure that there is a monitoring process for project implementation because you cannot just put down policies, you have to monitor the implementation.
While commending the government on the launch of the Agriculture Promotion Policy and various other initiatives aimed at growing the sector, Lawson advised the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development to establish activities with timelines and milestones to enable the private sector to provide the much-needed synergy and support for government policies.